The Pilot Club of St. Augustine donated more than 200 caladium bulbs last month to be planted in the Clark &Alice Alger Tranquility Garden at Flagler Hospital.
Jeanette Smith, Giselle Thompson and Shirley “Daisy” Thompson volunteered to plant the bulbs throughout the garden, which is located near the hospital’s main lobby.
“With all the rain we’ve had the last few weeks, it won’t take long for these new plants to be growing and making this garden even more beautiful than it’s always been,” said Shirley Thompson. “We are so grateful to the Pilot Club for this donation, as it’s a gift that will keep on giving for years to come.”
A member of the group called the “Flagler Flowers,” Thompson is a Garden Club member and a Master Gardener who lends a helping hand to keep the garden looking its best. She was honored by the Flagler Hospital Auxiliary in April with the Heart of Service award for her dedication to the gardens at the hospital.
The Tranquility Garden was established in 2009 after Clark and Alice Alger made a major gift to Flagler Health Care Foundation.
The garden was designed to be a quiet and serene environment where hospital patients, their families, visitors and health care team members can reflect, meditate and relax. The garden offers shade as well as beautiful colors and fragrances.
The Pilot Club, chartered Sept. 8, 1936, and incorporated Feb. 10, 1960, is a local nonprofit organization that supports a variety of local projects in the community.
For information, call 819-4625 or go to FlaglerHealthCareFoundation.org.