St. Johns County is providing free sandbags at six locations throughout the county for the public in preparation for Hurricane Irma. The sand and the bags will be provided free of charge. Residents must provide their own transportation and shovels, and will be responsible for filling their own bags. There is a maximum allocation of 20 bags per person. The sand and bags are available between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily throughout the duration of the inclement weather event. For additional information, call 824-5550.
• Windswept Acres Park, 5335 State Road A1A South.
• Sims Pit, 536 S. Holmes Blvd.
• Town of Hastings Town Hall, 6195 S. Main St., behind the building.
• Mills Field, 1805 Racetrack Rd., in the overflow parking area.
• Palm Valley, Under the Palm Valley Bridge on the east side of the Intracoastal Waterway.
• North Beach Park, 3721 Coastal Highway (at the walkover).
Starting Thursday, the City of St. Augustine will provide free sandbags beginning at 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. at Francis Field on West Castillo Dr. for the public.
The sand and the bags are free of charge and there is a limit of 20 bags per person. Members of the public must provide their own transportation and shovels, and are be responsible for filling their own bags.
Vehicles should enter Francis Field from the west off Riberia Street and follow directions. The service will continue until the supply is depleted or the weather deteriorates until it is unsafe to do so. For additional information, call 825-1010.